Tom also assists candidates and contracting authorities in organizing and participating in (public) procurement and tender procedures. In addition, he regularly litigates in construction law matters and in disputes on spatial planning and the environment. Tom is a targeted litigator, who also often acts in appeal cases. He finished his studies as a cassation lawyer as well.
Tom joined VanEps Kunneman VanDoorne in 2013, and previously worked at international law firms and was director of a legal consultancy firm. In that role, he was involved in various real estate projects in the Netherlands in an early stage, but also in Curaçao and the BES islands (Caribbean Netherlands). Tom regularly publishes about property (law), project development, sustainable energy projects, cooperative structures and (public) procurement. He teaches on various legal topics, has researched (for instance) participation models for sustainable energy projects and permit strategies for real estate projects, and he has developed several innovative legal products such as new procurement methods. He also advises on the execution and application of the international FIDIC-contracts and is experienced in participating in DAB-dispute adjudication boards.
Tom works across the Caribbean in various real estate projects. He is also a member of the Dutch bar, the Dutch procurement lawyers organization and the association for specialized real estate lawyers.
Additional positions and memberships
- Supervisory board member of Maduro & Curiel’s Bank (Bonaire) N.V.
- Board member of Bonaire’s tourism association BONHATA
- Board member Foundation Ride for the Roses Bonaire
- Supervisory Board member Stichting Leren is Leuk (‘Foundation Education is Fun’) Bonaire
- Supervisory Board member Stichting Recompressietank Bonaire (‘Foundation Recompression Chamber Bonaire’)
- Legal secretary Netherlands Arbitration Institute
- Assisting (U)SONA, commissioned by the Curacao government, in all legal aspects (procurement, contracting, permits and financing) regarding the construction of the new Hospital Nobo Otrabanda in Curacao
- Assisting Bonaire’s housing association regarding procurement and contracting and also the realization of real estate projects.
- Assisting Mota-Engil in the tender procedure for the USD 100 mln PPP project for the development of the Watty Vos Boulevard in Aruba. The project comprises the design, construction, financing and maintenance of the 7 kilometer boulevard, including 13 intersections and 2 overpasses.
- Assisting petrochemical industries and airports on the BES islands regarding (environmental) permits.
- Assisting the Ministry of Infrastructure and Environment in the renovation and procurement process of the Afsluitdijk in The Netherlands.
- Assisting Water- and Electricity Company Bonaire in the realization and procurement of the community solar project in Bonaire.
- Advising wind park operators in the realization of a wind energy park on Curacao, in the Netherlands and at sea in The Netherlands.