Thies studied law at Maastricht University and obtained his masters degree at the University of Westminster in London. He started his career as a lawyer in the Netherlands and also worked for a law firm in St. Maarten. In 2011, he joined VanEps Kunneman VanDoorne.
Thies regularly speaks at meetings and events on various topics within the field of administrative law, employment law and real estate. Furthermore, Thies is a lecturer employment law and administrative law at Training Institute Bonaire.
Additional positions and memberships
- Dean of the Bonaire Bar Association
- Member of the Junior Bar Association
- Member of the Antillean Jurist Association
- Member of the Supervisory Board for lawyers for the BES islands
- Assisting Bonaire’s housing association and utilities companies regarding procurement and contracting.
- Representing NuStar Energy in a procedure against St.Eustatius Monument Foundation regarding an oil terminal on St.Eustatius.
- Representing Curaçao Customs in administrative law proceedings regarding the confiscation of Venezuelan boats used for trade in Curaçao.